Thursday, September 22, 2005

First hand experience with automated check-out system

On a bright and sunny day, after finishing the major research report, I went out for shopping. Naturally, like most men, I tend to like shopping for hardwares. Therefore, I went to a store which claimed to sell hardwares cheaply.

After picking up the stuffs that interested me, I go to the checkout and prepare to be served. Guess what? I was faced with an automated check-out system. I was served by a machine.

The automated check-out system was made by NCR, which is a reknown brand for making transaction machines. I was asked by the machine to scan the barcode of the item that I bought (like the check-out staffs usually do), and then put them into a bag (like the check-out staffs always do), and then choose the payment method (exactly what the check-out staffs always ask). Everything that the check-out staffs usually ask or do are asked by the machine.

Although the experience of using this automated system is pleasant, I am a little worry about its implications. For my own experience, I think that the machine is easily operated. Most shopper can cope with it easily and get used to it after a few shopping experiences. If the retailers are keen on using this system, then there would be a reduction in job opportunity in the retailing sector. Some low income earners, including some university students might faced with the loss of job. Automated system is also lack of the kind of personal engagement that you want when you shop. It is inhuman.

In summary, although there are some fallback for implicating the automated system, I believe that the system would be implicated in the near future. As most things, the 'natural selection' always implies. Most product that help reducing operational cost usually wins.

No comments: